Popular Posts

April 17, 2011

How Safe am I from the Police? A question for the Police Commissioner Mathew Iteere

I am really lost here.

I am not sure if I should be happy or sad.

If you read my last posting, you may have realized that several things have not really been right.

Among the many things I mentioned, there is one that I deliberately avoided and that is about the recent spate of killings of the police by the police.

With your permission, allow me to give some quick facts.

In the last five months, fifteen police officers, including members of the armed forces and civilians have been killed by troubled junior officers- Circumstances? Unknown.

Last being a case where 16 bullets were fired by one Constable Mutwiri during his killing spree at Naromuro police station.

The constable shot at least seven times at his boss Inspector Orwenya as the poor lass stepped out of his bedroom.

From unconnected scraps of evidence gathered so far and some that is of common knowledge, some of the reasons said to be flaming these killings are frustrations within the force including poor pay, favouritism in promotions, depression, distress, poor living conditions, hiring of retired officers on contract, questionable transfers, and appointments without merits, gross indiscipline.

However, one of the most ridiculous argument- which again cannot be dismissed holistically as hogwash is that the police are being haunted by the killings of post -election 2008.

Now my question is how safe am I from thugs, muggers, robbers and the police themselves?

I am finding it easy to believe that I would be safer with a thug brandishing a silver semi-automatic Magnum .44 than a police carrying an AK 47. Why? Because at least I don’t expect to be protected. I am sure of the known. But with the police? I am not so sure about my protection.

It’s funny that police is killing themselves and civilians instead of protecting us. I don’t know whether there are no criminals to be arrested or shot at-at worst but something is definitely not right.

The statistics may appear dismissal but even killing one human being is considered a serious crime punishable by death in some states and life sentences in others.

Fifteen is not genocide but definitely worrying. I don’t know about you but I am.

In many occasions, I am left to wonder where the line between civilian protection and killing is drawn.

If the police cannot protect themselves from themselves yet they are trained, how are we supposed to guarantee our own security? without the training???

To say at this point that I am a worried Kenyan would be an understatement.

No comments: